About Me

My photo
Red Bluff, CA, United States
The life of us: a single mother and her 5 resilient, awe-inspiring children. Currently a part-time waitress and full-time nursing student with the simple hopes of retaining my sanity, or at least enough of it, in order to seek employment upon graduating. In the meantime I hope to encourage, love, teach, and in the end release each of my children into the world as independent thinkers, selfless Christians, hard-working contributors, and appreciative life seekers. Herein lies bits of that journey.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Duckopoly

Shane went to a Ducks Unlimited Benefit dinner with his friend and his friend's dad a couple weekends ago. He won this Duckopoly game in a raffle drawing. It's basically Monopoly to a duck theme. At any rate, we've been playing it the last couple days. The kids enjoy it and although it's slightly time consuming as far as I'm concerned, I've been trying to take my own advice about enjoying the moments and all that jazz. lol.

So tonight Dion and Savannah decided they wanted to give it a go. Up until this point they've been appeased with being "banker" or "property manager" and helping and such. But they both wanted to play tonight. So I sat between them to help them manage the game. A couple rounds into the game I landed on one of Dion's properties that she had bought already, so I forked over the $14 dollars or so. A few minutes later I looked down and see a property of Dion's that was stacked on my properties. I picked it up and looked at Dion and said, "What's this doing on my stack?" And she says, "Oh, well yeah, remember when you gave me that money a bit ago, I figured I'd give you the property since you gave me so many white monies." (Mind you the white monies are $1 bills. lol). I'm like, "Aww thanks babe, but you don't have to do that." And I proceed to explain further how the landing on other people's property works and give her back her property card.

A few turns later Shane was griping about how he didn't have any money left. All of the sudden Dion's chair scoots out and she's marching around the backside of the dining room table. I'm about to ask her where she's going as it's her turn next but kept my mouth closed as I watch her plop down a stack of Duckopoly money right in front of Shane. She said, "Here Bubba." and marched back and climbed up in her chair. He picks up the curled chunk of change and riffled through it. "What's this for?" he asked. "Betuz you said you didn't hab money." she simply stated. As if we had missed that part. We all died laughing and explained to her that it's part of the game to run out of money and she didn't need to hand hers out. "But it's otay tuz I wanted to." she said as she was organizing what remained of her bills. Shane smiled and reached across the table handing back the $108 in miscellaneous bills she had so kindly given him. "Thanks Dion but you keep it."

So a few turns later Dion lands on Savannah's property. I looked to my right and proceeded to tell Dion she needed to give Savannah $24.00. I tell her, "a yellow one and four white ones." She started to gather it up but stopped to look to me and ask, "Well what do I get for it?" I chuckled, "Nothing sweety. You just owe her the money." She IMMEDIATELY starts putting what she had gathered back down on her stacks and VERY matter of factly she says, "Oh, well no thanks. That doesn't sound like something I want to do." hahahahaha!! Needless to say, Shane, Lacey, Savannah, and I all about died laughing. I explained to her that wasn't an option and she begrudgingly handed the money to Savannah.

It wasn't long before Dion was over playing. She had no interest in the silliness of just giving people money and not getting anything back, nor not being able to hand money to her bubba when she knew he needed it. lol.

It was a learning experience for us all.

No comments: