About Me

My photo
Red Bluff, CA, United States
The life of us: a single mother and her 5 resilient, awe-inspiring children. Currently a part-time waitress and full-time nursing student with the simple hopes of retaining my sanity, or at least enough of it, in order to seek employment upon graduating. In the meantime I hope to encourage, love, teach, and in the end release each of my children into the world as independent thinkers, selfless Christians, hard-working contributors, and appreciative life seekers. Herein lies bits of that journey.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Why is there a snake in my living room??

So my place is surrounded by fields and I know there are snakes, but never should I be expected to anticipate one crawling onto my patio and into my living room from underneath my patio door. Ugh!

It was around 11 p.m. last night (yes, 12 hours later I'm still worked up over it!) and my kids had gotten to bed late. I was sitting at my desk in the living room attempting homework/playing mobsters instead (lol) and I got up from my desk to walk across the living room to the kitchen to get a drink and there it was, slithering across the rug almost to the kitchen floor. I scream, but of course!! And jumped back. Apppaaaarently THE SNAKE didn't appreciate ME startling it!! So he coils up and rears back like he's going to strike. Wteff ever dude... you're in MY HOUSE!! So I'm pacing in the living... trying to rack my brain on who the heck I'm going to call at 11 o'clock at night to come get a snake out of my house. Mind you had it been a rattle snake I'da died of heart failure almost instanteously. However, it was a black and white king snake. BIG though, lemme tell ya! Of course it could have been the size of a worm and it would have been too large to be in my house. So I have the phone in my hand and I'm standing on the ottoman and Lacey comes walking down the hallway to see why I screamed. Well shes sees it from the hallway and FREAKS out running back down the hallway. THEN the phone rings, while in my hand, and seeing as I'm on pins and needles as it is I end up practically hanging from the ceiling that's how high it made me jump. It was my mom, I answered it, "OH MY F*^ING GOSH, MOM!!" (Mind you for those of you who know me and my parents... uhmm cussing is NOT very common at all, lol.) I said, "THERE IS A SNAKE IN MY HOUSE!"

Anyway, I'm about to call the fire department or police or something cause I can't think of anyone shilverish enough to come save me from a snake at 11:00 at night. lol. Then I remember that the girl across the way from me has just recently started seeing this guy.. maybe he's there. But I don't want to lose sight of the snake. Then I noticed the snake was hanging a hard right into the kitchen... all I can think is NOOO, NOT UNDER THE FRIDGE or up into the cupboards. So I toss a sweater over the kitchen bar/counter from the living room onto the kitchen floor. Not only did it do the trick and turn him around but it pissed him off even more. I mean, I know the whole "Oh, he's just as scared of you as you are of him. And all he's trying to do is get away." Wellllllllllll, I call bullshit on this one cause this snake wanted a piece of anyone and anything. So he strikes at the sweater and turns around and goes toward the dining room. Which is acceptable to me cause there was really no place for him to hid in there and that gave me time to run across to the neighbors.

So I pound on her door, and I mean pound, "BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!" with the end of my closed fist (the neighbor said later she coulda swore it was the cops, lol." She answers and before she can even say hi I interrupted her, "Is your boyfriend here?!??!" I said. lol. She's probably thinking, "What the heck do you want with my boyfriend at 11:00 at night??? lol. Well I saw it on her face so I followed it up with, "And is he afraid of snakes?? Cause there is a snake in my house and I REALLY need someone to get it out!" So she says, "Yeah, he's here and no, I don't think he's afraid of snake." So the guy gets up and they follow me back to my place. I open the door and point across the living room into the dining room and tell him that it's somewhere over there. Anyway, he picked it up and carried it out.

Needless to say I sat in my desk chair with my feet up for hours. I couldn't walk past the patio door without instant chills. Even now... grrrrrr...

Alright, that settles it. I need a man around the house. lol.

No comments: